Monday, June 13, 2011

Jason Terry: A Caution to Him and the "Superstitious" Christian (Revised)

After discussing this issue with a friend and brother that I highly respect, I've decided to edit my post and change the title. So instead of even discussing if he is or isn't a Christian, I want to address the act but leave the question of his salvation out of it because I really don't know. Although I thought I made it clear that I couldn't say for sure whether or not Terry is actually a Christian, apparently I wasn't clear enough and this was irresponsible on my part. 

I think this issue hits home for me because, as an athlete and African American, the theology of God in our churches (I speak specifically to the Black church because I have almost 10 years of 'ministry' experience in it and 15 years as a member) has become very shallow where as many athletes who are professing believers tend to use God as a "good luck charm". I've seen it over and over in the locker room as a ball player. Some of the most ungodliest individuals are the first to say "give glory to God". 

So when I hear JET give glory to God and at the same time say he's superstitious, I want it to be clear that this act, in the words of Bryant Taylor, isn't becoming of a Christian. The same way that lying, stealing, worrying, sexual immorality, and other obvious sins, all of which I have been guilty of at some point in my walk and still struggle with, aren't becoming of a Christian. So don't misunderstand me and assume that I think that one sin or struggle condemns you to hell or that I'm claiming perfection. Faith in Christ alone is the only thing that can save us and if JET truly has this he is a brother and there is grace available for his superstitious acts. I pray someone close to him addresses his superstition. We'll call out sexual immorality, murder, and stealing but we shouldn't let superstition and other sins that our culture deems acceptable slip under the radar. All should be addressed and handled in love.
The Bible calls Christians to be discerning and loving. The only way we can truly have discernment is through scripture meditation and prayer. I’m writing this not because I’m a Miami fan or a Jason Terry hater. I’m writing to create dialogue and ultimately to challenge Christians to be more discerning, so that when they meet individuals like Terry, they’ll be more discerning and know how to better love and minister to them.
So now that I’m given you my preface, let address the topic at hand. Did you know that Jason Terry is considered the most superstitious basketball player in the NBA today? One article ranked him #6 in their “10 Most Superstitious Athletes”. Why does this need to be addressed?  Superstition is completely unbiblical and the Bible is clearly against it. The portion of the article written about Terry says this:
“Easily the most superstitious player in the NBA, Dallas Maverick shooting guard Jason Eugene Terry's list of quirks includes eating chicken before games like Wade Boggs and wearing five pairs of socks while playing…The night before every game, Terry goes to bed while wearing the shorts of the next day's opposing team. This compulsion has left JET desperately tracking down the right trunks on a bad night….”
Along with this, Jason Terry has admitted that he is very superstitious.
So here are some reasons biblically why I think superstition just won’t fly if you’re a professing Christian. First, it takes away from the sovereignty of God. God is in control of everything and He either causes or allows everything to happen (Acts 4:28; Ephesians 1:10). Secondly, it’s a form of idolatry. You’re putting your trust in a man made practice or an object. The Bible is clear that those who practice such things won’t enter the kingdom of God (Revelation 21:27). At the end of the day, God wants you to trust Him, not man made practices or objects. Your life on this earth and eternally is completely in His hands.
“See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ. For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form, and you have been given fullness in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority” (Colossians 2:8-10).

No comments:

Post a Comment