Monday, February 13, 2012

My Tribute to Dr. Wynn Kenyon (Feat. short tributes from others)

Dr. Wynn Kenyon was the Professor of Biblical Studies and Philosophy; Chair of the Philosophy Department and Division of Ministry and Human Services at Belhaven University, my Alma mater, in Jackson, MS. He was also an elder at Redeemer Church, PCA, a multi-ethnic church plant in Jackson.


Dr. Kenyon was an honors graduate of Pittsburgh Theological Seminary where he studied under the late Dr. John Gerstner. It has been said that Dr. Gerstner had two favorite students; one of them was the world renown Dr. R.C. Sproul and the other was, yeah you guessed it, Dr. Wynn Kenyon.


Dr. Kenyon is probably most well known in Presbyterian circles for the his controversial judicial case in 1975 when the Permanent Judicial Commission of the UPCUSA General Assembly upset the conservatives of the denomination by overturning the Pittsburgh Presbytery's ordination of Dr. Kenyon. Kenyon told the GA that based on his Biblical convictions, he could not participate in ordination services for women, but he would not get in the way of a woman being ordained and he was willing to work with ordained women. The PJC ruled that the UPCUSA must deny ordination to anyone who refused to follow "an explicit constitutional provision." This decision led to the departure of 40 conservative congregations, including Tenth Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia. This eventually led to the formation of the Presbyterian Church of America. Dr. Kenyon went on to receive his M.A. and Ph.D from Miami University.

Dr. Kenyon was my favorite professor at Belhaven. He was the first to encourage me to study theology and philosophy. His exact words were "You're a sharp kid. You can do this." He always gave me more credit than I deserved, but that's just the type of guy he is. One of his many spiritual gifts is encouragement. The next year he had me teach a guided study for his Christian Doctrine class, for which he wrote the curriculum. He taught me how to think and for that I am grateful. He was always patient with me and anyone he encountered.

After graduating, although I was still in the city and he was an elder at my church, I hadn't spent much time with Dr. Kenyon. I would see him randomly and we would have short conversations where I would try and provoke his famous "HA!" laugh by saying something witty (I was usually pretty successful at this), but not nearly enough time to have a meaningful conversation. Recently, I was moved to go and check on him more often. About three weeks ago, he was initiated and invited me to his home for lunch and it was amazing.

Dr. Kenyon and his lovely wife Ginny have such a gift of hospitality. We discussed ministry, life, Bible and philosophy. I told him I wanted to spend more time with him and I  also wanted to discuss my Apologetics course that I was taking at RTS. He was happy to help and he told me his doors were always open. I quickly discovered that the Kenyons meant this. I went over later that week and we had a good time talking apologetics and also discussed his life and marriage to Ginny. I was encouraged by this man's love for his wife, family, students and the church. He was a man who was ready to extend grace and give others the benefit of the doubt. He and his wife intended on visiting the college ministry (RUF) that I intern with this past Thursday, but as many of you know Dr. Kenyon had a heart attack on Wednesday and went home to be with the Lord on today, February 13, 2012. Earlier today, I had a chance to see him and say my goodbyes for now, while Paul Husband and I prayed and cried beside his bed. It was then I realized the depth of our relationship and how much he meant to me. I felt as if I'd lost a close relative.

Dr. Kenyon is the first person to die that I'm pretty close to since age 11 when I lost my aunt. Needless to say, it's been a long time since death has been this close and it hurts. But today I found myself finding comfort in the simple fact that one day the Christian body will be raised and Christ will return. Since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him Wynn and other Christians who have fallen asleep. For those of us that are in Christ, we will see our dear brother again. But until then, we must fight the good fight of faith and press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Please pray for his family, church, and friends as we mourn the loss of our dear brother. Especially remember his wife Ginny and their three kids.

I'm only one of the many students' lives Dr. Kenyon impacted, so below I've compiled a short (not exhaustive) list of words from former students, co-workers, and friends of Dr. Wynn Kenyon.

So sorrowful today in the loss of Dr. Wynn Kenyon. Such an amazing teacher and friend, with a kind heart and a tremendous laugh. - Katie Stewart

Today we bid adieu to Dr. Wynn Kenyon. He was our great Professor, a fine friend, and a metaphysician of the First Order. Farewell, Doctor. - Mason Stewart

Wynn Kenyon. Absent from the body. Present with the Lord. 2 Corinthians 5:8 - Dr. Ligon Duncan

Many thoughts and prayers go out to the family of Dr. Wynn Kenyon, an amazing friend and teacher. He has meant a great deal to many people. - Joseph Craven

To say that I, along with all of Dr. Wynn Kenyon's former students, stand on giant's shoulders is a severe understatement. #RIP - Jason Bruce

Bring your laugh to heaven for the angels to enjoy, Dr. Kenyon. We love you. You've changed so many lives here at Belhaven. #illneverforget - Jocelyn Zhu

Keep expecting celebrities I follow (on Twitter) to say something nice about Dr. Kenyon. Seems like a person that everyone should've known, doesn't he. - Sarah Bannerman

What I learned in Dr Kenyon's classes has had a distinct impact on my life and walk in grace. Thankful for that. RIP - Brett Clifton

Dr. Kenyon passed. He had such a huge impact on my school. He will be missed! - Katie Joy Self

Dr. Kenyon is with the Lord face to face now! #romans8:28 - Mark Husband

One of the things I enjoyed most as RUF campus minister @ Belhaven was hanging out with prof & church pillar Wynn Kenyon. He will be missed. - Rev. Chad Smith

This man has done more for loving people in his life than I could hope to do if I had 9. #DrKenyon #Conqueror #SonOfGod #CherishedFriend - Michael Preston

Dr. Kenyon is with his Lord who he glorified so mightily in his earth life! Thank the Lord that he went on to glory surrounded by family! - Grace Anne Haynes

Dr. Kenyon-His laugh will always stay fresh in my memory, his love I will carry in my heart, and his faith will continue to encourage mine. - KC Jones

There are 30 years of Belhaven students who learned how to think from that man. - Beth Whitney

Gee, talk about an orientation class in heaven this week with Dr. Knox and Dr. Kenyon. I bet he already has an apostles vs. prophets game of angleball going. :) - Thomas Wallace







1 comment: